06 April 2013

What Was I Thinking?


It has been a while as I mentioned in the previous post--gardening, that is. Spring has sprung, right in my kitchen. Less than six days after sowing my seed, we've had amazing early germination, but also leggy seedlings that has resulted in reseeding and trying to light up the hyper running stems. 

Lesson number two (number one was obvious, no?) was one of laziness. Scattering seeds in peat pots. Problem number one is with lesson number two--peat pots are great wicks. I'm watering far too often, wondering when damping off is going to kick in. Problem number two with lesson number two is that some things just don't need an indoor start--even in the rainy northwest! Nor do they need to be so plentiful. Seems a waste of seed.  having backup seedlings is one thing--mine were on maximum overdrive.

Overcompensate much for potential crop failure?

Aside from that it is quite the bear to separate not only leggy seedlings, but tangled and leggy seedlings. Did I mention that lesson two included a mass of greenery taking over the kitchen?

Regardless of the previous two lessons, most seedlings are strong and healthy. Beans are, and will always be amazing to watch grow such as the Beanzillas, as we call the overperformers. The black turtle beans were a bit creepy to watch sprout, like they were going to swallow the rest of the seed tray without thought. Plant development is always amazing to watch.

My other half told me that watching my seedlings grow was like watching water boil. I don't know if it was the soil, warmth of my kitchen, light, or a combination of all (I'd like to think it was a combination of perfect everything), but the seeds did germinate and sprout before the eye.

Nature is most wondrous. We never really stop and take the time to appreciate how delicate and strong nature is together and alike.

If you've ever taken a long hiatus from gardening, did you watch in awe when you started the next time?

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Please feel welcome to share your feedback, questions, advice, and experiences. Always mindful and open to all gardening perspectives from all levels of experiences.