23 April 2013

My Asparagus Corral

Variety: Mary Washington Heirloom Asparagus
Sown: 8 APR 2013
Germinated 23 APR 2013

I thought these heirloom Mary Washington asparagus seeds would never give up the ghost! Really! I've never really known what asparagus looked like in the seedling stage, so it was definitely an interesting wait!  While I've had gardens since my early 20s, apparently asparagus was not on the radar--perhaps it was the 3 year wait, perhaps I didn't care for it back then.  At 40 something, I definitely have more patience and better taste. 

I researched asparagus seedling photographs and care, as well as the growth phases.  I truly thought these seeds would never give in!  I've noticed I have a bad habit of stirring around the seeds in the starter soil, but whether coincidence or not, tiny asparagus popped up soon after. After all, how would I know if they just simply rotted--that's a great justification.  I'm sure I will continue that bad practice until I potentially harm something...

When they reached about six inches, they were drawn to the heat of my hand and fell over.  I will not have perfectly pretty, little and ferny trees growing, but a tangled mass of tiny, green and ferny stalks. It was like a rodeo roundup of  their little stalks for transplant and during transplanting.

I had to manufacture, shall we call it, a corral.  An Asparagus Corral to be exact. While it likely isn't ideal, the seedlings are happy and are standing a bit more upright now.  They definitely have some curl from leaning on each other and the label stick.

As I try to harden them off, I notice a few brown ends, broken (wind blown) tips, so I'm keeping them inside for a bit longer until they can survive without my constant hand outdoors. 

Growing asparagus in a pot is a little out there, but I figure if I'm just going to be looking at it for the next three years, I may as well try.  I will try to document the growth pattern in said pots along the way.  There is definitely next to zero information out there on this particular method for asparagus.

I germinated these seeds successfully in both rich soil and some in coconut coir.  There was a notable difference in the growth in each, with the soil producing faster and heartier seedlings.  The seedlings in the coir needed to come out quickly, while the seedlings in the soil were still thriving wholly in the soil.

The Asparagus Corral is comprised of cotton kitchen twine and shishkabob skewers.  Speaking of skewers, I've discovered that they make a great gardening tool; the skewers hold up label stakes (address label wrapped around), rick out young seedlings for transplant with ease, stir soil when impatience reigns over intelligence (lol), and are great for digging earth out from under fingernails. 

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Please feel welcome to share your feedback, questions, advice, and experiences. Always mindful and open to all gardening perspectives from all levels of experiences.